It is very unlikely that, when he set up his own horse-cab and transport business in 1883, Arnold Birch had any idea he was founding a dynasty that has provided an ongoing service to Liverpool’s industries, tradesmen and residents right up to the present day. But that is exactly what has happened. The business has expanded and diversified to become a thriving Company, which, with the fourth generation of the Birch Family in control, is well positioned to progress further for another century to come.
Arnold’s business had passed to his nephew, Frank Arnold Birch, and had won a significant parcels and luggage contract with LMS Railways at both Waterloo and Crosby Stations. The business had also expanded to include a furniture removals service.
Frank’s eldest sons, Stanley and Leslie, take over the business and develop it into a national haulage business.
John Birch and his youngest brother,Leslie, acquire Lloyd & Jones.
Jonathon Birch (Leslie Birch’s son) bought into Lloyd & Jones
In 1983 Lloyd & Jones was established.
We became Lloyd & Jones Engineers Ltd
The Company, now trading as Lloyd & Jones, acquires the customers of both Ross & Alexander Ltd, and Hibbert & Carlisle Ltd.
Saw another important milestone for the Company, when it won a major Stores & Purchasing contract with the Mersey Docks & Harbour Company.
Purchased the assets of Panther Tools to establish our Wirral branch.
We opened our Deeside Branch and Winsford Branch
Purchased the Assets of Stanleys AUL to establish our Ashton Branch
During 2003 we also opened our Wrexham Branch.
Purchased the Oldham based Engineers Merchant F Warrens Limited to establish our Oldham Branch.
Following several years as members of the Lloyd & Jones group, TW Forms and HB Tools Limited were merged into Lloyd & Jones Engineers Limited and became Trading Names of Lloyd & Jones.
Purchased the assets of Stoke based Engineers Merchant D.L.Skerrett Engineering Ltd to establish our Stoke Branch
Purchased the assets of Engineers Merchant Woodberry Tools with branches in Bristol and Coventry.
Woodberry Chillcott, as they were formerly known, has been a trusted UK supplier of quality tools, lubricants, fastenings and safety equipment for over 100 years, celebrating its centenary year in 2012
Purchased the assets of abrasive converter SAL Abrasive, expanding our range of services to the industrial sector. This added sites in Newcastle and Chorley.
January ~ Purchased the assets of Preisser UK Ltd, this included the Blue Range Tool brand. This enhanced our measuring equipment offering.
May ~ Purchased the assets of Thomas Proctor & Sons Limited. Proctors have been serving industry since it was established in 1798. Starting out on the banks of the Tyne as ship merchants, as the industries around them changed so did they. This acquisition added Gateshead, Carlisle and Teesside to our Branch network.
June ~ Purchased the assets of Tooltek Supplies in Hull. Adding Hull to our branch network.
November ~ Purchased European Welding Supplies Limited (EWS) of Barnsley, This added branches at Barnsley and Immingham to our network and significantly increased our presence and expertise in the welding market.
June ~ Purchased North Valley Supplies (NVS) Limited in Accrington, Adding a branch in Accrington to the network, enabling us to increase our presence and service levels in the M65 corridor.
September ~ During the pandemic, like many businesses’, we took some tough decisions, these unfortunately included the closure of our Deeside, Carlisle and Coventry branches.
March ~ Purchased Mersey Equipment Co Limited in Birkenhead. Established in 1949 , Mersey Equipment Company Ltd was a family-run welding and safety supplies business, with over 60 years’ experience in the welding supply industry.
May ~ Opened our Mansfield branch.
December ~ Purchased the PSI Industrial Supplies Limited in Ellesmere Port Cheshire. Adding Ellesmere Port to our branch network. PSI has been trading since 1990, specialising in Pneumatic / Instrumentation / Pressure Gauges.
With the view of giving its customers the maximum level of support possible, Lloyd & Jones employs experts in several technical fields. They include, mechanical and electrical engineers as well as specialists in tool-making, paint supply, fasteners and protective clothing. Their advice is free and they are readily available.
Lloyd & Jones conducts its business from spacious and superbly stocked premises on Regent Road, Bootle, near the Millers Bridge Junction. The complex houses an efficient and speedy trade counter, backed up by staff who are fully conversant with all aspects of the merchandise. Through continuous training, the company endeavours to make all staff aware of every facet of the business. Despite the general downturn in UK manufacturing, Lloyd & Jones has seen trade continue to increase, as a result, more jobs have been created and they now have 40 staff at their Bootle headquarters. Lloyd & Jones has a proud tradition of supporting engineering and port-related industries in the North West and North Wales. The Company currently has an extensive portfolio of large national and international customers and numerous smaller local and national accounts.
Lloyd & Jones continue to expand and serves local, national and international industries and businesses with engineering and maintenance materials, creating a one-stop operation. This is backed up with over 23,000 stock items, ranging from abrasives, hand and power tools, protective clothing and fasteners to welding supplies and zinc anodes.